United win in Woodhall

Skegness Siren Football Leave a Comment


United made the journey to Woodhall looking to reverse their defeat in early December. It was a much changed United side which took the field from the one back in December.

This turned out to be one of United’s best team performances of the season with them dominated the play from beginning to end. During the game Alex Kendrick in the visiting goal only had two shots to deal with in the whole match, and these did not cause him any problems.

In the opening minutes it was United who had control of the match, however the first shot came from the home side from distance which was high over the bar.

Although United was having all the play it was 20 minutes before they had their first real chance when Brett Dennis was just wide of the upright.

Five minutes later United took the lead which their play deserved when Danny Wilkes broke down the left to the bye line and squared for Micheal Hardy to fire home from 10 yards.

Micheal Hardy firing for United’s first goal

United dominated play up to the interval and on a number of occasions it was last minute defending from Woodhall to keep the score line at one.

United went in at half time with a deserved lead, and only disappointment it was by only one goal.

Within two minutes of the start of the second period United went two up. A long kick by Kendrick eluded the two home central defenders and Brett Dennis went on to round the home keeper Andrew Money and plants the ball into the empty net.

Brett Dennis going round the oppostion’s goalkeeper for United’s 2nd goal

Shortly afterwards Wilkes was only inches wide of increasing the lead when in cut in from the left.

Although Woodhall were seeing more of the ball than in the first half they were causing no problems to Kendrick due to the United defence well marshalled by Jamie Lyall.

As the game progressed United were keeping the home defence at full stretch with excellent movement of the ball in midfield with Hardy, Wilkes, Kurt Crossley and John Courtney dominating the midfield area.

Micheal Hardy keeping streets infront of the oppostion

At the final whistle United had gained the points to keep the pressure at the top end of the table, and also against one of their main contenders.

Special mention to Keaton Grainger who was drafted in at left back to combat Woodhall’s danger man Blake Kenneally-Forrester from the first game, and kept him quite all match.

Team: Alex Kendrick, Arun Gray, Keaton Grainger, Rhys Mansell, Jamie Lyall, Kieran Rayner-Mistry, Danny Wilkes, Michael Hardy, Brett Dennis (Jamie Turner), John Courtney and Kurt Crossley (Daniel Howitt).

Unused Sub: Anthony Miller

Hodgkinson Man of Match: Keaton Grainger

Next Saturday United make their longest journey of the season when they travel to Colsterworth Sports and Social Club in the quarter-final of the Challenge Cup. Kick Off 1.30pm