Most Eventful Game of the Season Sees Skegness United Promotion

Skegness Siren Football Leave a Comment


United went into the match along with Kirton Town, Boston College and Horncastle Town Res knowing victory for them could take the league title and the other promotion place.

At the end of the day Kirton took the title with a 3 – 1 win at Woodhall Spa, and United runners spot over Boston College on goal difference after their 6 – 3 win over Freiston. Horncastle were a point behind after winning 10 – 3 at Old Doningtonians.

Once again United made a number of changes from the previous week with Jamie Lyall, Dan Wager, John Courtney, Kieran Rayner-Mistry and Danny Wilkes returning to the side.

United started the brighter of the two sides with the movement and passing in midfield of John Courtney, Ben Drysdale, Danny Wilkes and Alex Kendrick causing problems for the home defence.

United took the lead after around 20 minutes when a flowing move released Rayner-Mistry on the left who from 15 yards fired into the far corner pass home keeper Josh Brown.

The visitor’s continued their passing game and it was not long before they had number two on the board when from a corner Danny Wager headed home.

Little was seen at this stage of game of the Friskney attack with Lyall and Wager marshalling the United defence.

With half time approaching United went three up from the penalty spot. Keaton Grainger duly placed his spot kick beyond Brown. This confirmed Grainger has United’s leading goal scorer for the season.

United went in at half time after producing one of their best first half performances of the season.

United started the second half as they had finished the first by taking the game to the home side.

On 55 minutes the game was halted for around 35 minutes when United keeper Jack Minor collapsed on the field and an ambulance was called.

On the restart United appeared to lose their way and the home side became more of an attacking force and started creating chances with Vic Sibert, Job Stainton and Bob Jackson finding spaces.

During this period Friskney pulled a goal back when a through ball was placed passed stand in keeper Alex Kendrick.

On more than one occasion Lyall had to be at his best with last ditch tackles to keep United’s two goal advantage.

Even then United had a number of chances to increase their goal advantage with balls being cleared of the line and hitting the post.
The game ended with United taking the three points and gaining the second promotion spot.

Skegness United would like to thank Friskney FC, Arun Gray, Harry Ralph and the Ambulance Service in aiding Jack Minor’s recovery. Following a period of examination he was allowed home.

Also the club would like to thank management and players in gaining promotion to the Premier Division.

Team: Jack Minor (Sam Sleight), Jamie Lyall, Zak Bray, Kieran Rayner-Mistry, Daniel Wager, Ben Drysdale, John Courtney, Danny Wilkes, Alex Kenrick, Anthony Miller and Keaton Grainger.

Unused Subs: Conor Minor and Kurt Crossley
Hodgkinsons Man of Match: Jamie Lyall